Stuffed Bell Peppers with Rice and Cheese
and spinach tomato salad
With leftover Cilantro Garlic Sauce made earlier in the week, these stuffed peppers are a breeze to prepare and cook hands-off in the oven. This was last featured in 2018.
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 Tbsp (sub soy sauce)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Rice, cooked (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Cheese, queso fresco - 3 oz, crumbled (sub Mexican Blend)
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Bell peppers, medium - 4, stems sliced off
- Sour cream - for serving (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce - ~1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Make cilantro garlic sauce - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Roughly chop cilantro and garlic. Combine with oil, vinegar, lemon juice, miso paste, and salt. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Corn - Slice corn off cobs if using fresh or defrost if using frozen. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make rice and cheese filling - Combine rice, corn, cheese, and cilantro garlic sauce (portion for bell peppers). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
While oven heats, slice stems off peppers. Discard seeds and stem. Place bell peppers in a microwave-safe
baking dish. Microwave on high until peppers are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes (this will start the peppers cooking and shorten bake time).
- Fill peppers with rice and cheese filling (don’t worry if you don’t have enough to fill them all the way). Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until filling is heated through and tops of bell peppers are golden brown, ~20 minutes.
- When peppers are nearly finished roasting, toss together tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Toss with cilantro garlic sauce (portion for salad).
- Serve bell peppers with sour cream. Enjoy salad on the side.
This meal may be top 5 CS meals. Make sure to double or triple the sauce as you will want some over top of the steak. Looking forward to the leftovers. I used a rice cooked and a grill, no oven to heat the house.1 Helpful
Good sauce. I subbed parsley for cilantro.0 Helpful
I made the paleo version and found the sauce to be too salty; next time, definitely will only add 1/2 of what is called for in the recipe.0 Helpful
Used chicken thighs in place of the steak, and subbed in orzo for the rice bc I like the moisture that brings to the salad.0 Helpful
I made the gluten free version plus the peppers from the vegetarian version. Everything was delicious! Had to make extra sauce because it didn't make as much as it was supposed to. I also added grilled peaches since we had the grill on and we are in love with grilled peaches.0 Helpful
THE CILANTRO GARLIC SAUCE. ❤️ Perfection.0 Helpful
Love this idea for leftover rice0 Helpful