with pan-seared green beans / rice
Meals with teriyaki sauce tend to be a hit with the whole family, and this saucy tofu over rice is no exception.
Smarts: Mirin adds nice dimension to the classic Japanese sweet and savory sauce. If you don’t have mirin, try replacing it with equal parts soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, cubed (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Mirin - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store green beans separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Combine garlic, ginger, first portion of water, soy sauce, mirin, and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or wok with cooking oil (portion for green beans) over medium heat. Add green beans and saute until bright green and starting to soften, ~2 minutes. Add water (portion for green beans) and cover pan with a lid. Let green beans steam, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and some salt.
- Continue cooking green beans until tender, ~2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice.
- Set green beans aside, covered to keep warm.
- Return pan to stovetop and add oil (portion for tofu). Add tofu to heated oil and cook, without stirring, until golden brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip tofu and continue cooking on all sides until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over tofu and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together second portion of water and cornstarch. Pour water-cornstarch slurry over tofu and sauce, stirring gently to combine.
- Continue simmering until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to reserve half for tomorrow).
- Serve tofu and sauce over rice with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
My husband still dreams about the day I make them again!0 Helpful
O didnt have cilantro so subbed parsley but wasn't the same. I'd add jalapenos next time.0 Helpful
Loved this! All the meatball recipes are amazing0 Helpful
This is very delicious. I especially like the green bean recipe :)0 Helpful
Excellent easy meal. Had to add extra breadcrumbs to get it to hold together but great flavor.0 Helpful
We all enjoyed this. I would use a little less sugar next time. Was out of rice so subbed noodles. Delicious!0 Helpful