Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
with pan-seared green beans / cauliflower rice
Meals with teriyaki sauce tend to be a hit with the whole family, and these chicken meatballs are no exception. Serve them with quick pan-seared and then steamed green beans on the side.
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Chicken, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Eggs - 1
- Almond meal - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger. Store green beans separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Combine garlic, ginger, first portion of water, aminos, rice vinegar, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Chop cilantro. Combine cilantro, chicken, eggs, almond meal, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Gently mix together with a spoon or your hands. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm balls. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or Dutch oven with cooking oil (portion for green beans) over medium heat. Add green beans and saute until bright green and starting to soften, ~2 minutes. Add water (portion for green beans) and cover pan with a lid. Let green beans steam, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and some salt.
- Continue cooking green beans until tender, ~2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice.
- Set green beans aside, covered to keep warm.
- Return pan to stovetop and add oil (portion for meatballs). Add meatballs to heated oil and cook, without stirring, until golden brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently stir meatballs until browned on all sides.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over meatballs and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together second portion of water and arrowroot powder. Pour water-arrowroot mixture over meatballs and sauce, stirring gently to combine.
- Continue simmering until sauce thickens and meatballs are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over cauliflower rice with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
My husband still dreams about the day I make them again!0 Helpful
O didnt have cilantro so subbed parsley but wasn't the same. I'd add jalapenos next time.0 Helpful
Loved this! All the meatball recipes are amazing0 Helpful
This is very delicious. I especially like the green bean recipe :)0 Helpful
Excellent easy meal. Had to add extra breadcrumbs to get it to hold together but great flavor.0 Helpful
We all enjoyed this. I would use a little less sugar next time. Was out of rice so subbed noodles. Delicious!0 Helpful