Taco Salad with Ground Turkey
and creamy avocado dressing
A taco salad is a go-to meal for the Cook Smarts community and is a great way to round out the week and use up leftover vegetables.
Smarts: This salad uses the same avocado dressing as in Tuesday’s meal to simplify prep for the week, but if you’re making this meal on its own or want a different dressing, try it with the Honey-Adobo Dressing featured in this version and shown in the photos.
- Avocados - 1
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz, shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4, chopped
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make avocado dressing - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday’s meal.) Cube avocados. Combine avocados with water, cilantro leaves, vinegar, lime juice, honey, mustard, and hot sauce. Use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend until smooth, adding more water as needed until the mixture is smooth and pourable. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute until turkey is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Finish with turkey and cheese.
- Top salads with dressing. Serve with tortilla chips (crumble these over top or use them to scoop up the other ingredients). Enjoy!
Definitely at 3 times the water to the dressing, and some salt to it. Smoked tabasco sauce really added a lot to the dish.0 Helpful
I didn’t love the dressing. I wanted the avocado-lime flavor to shine through, but I felt like the vinegar/Dijon was more prominent. I didn’t try the taco seasoning. I just used the brand I have on hand. I would like to try it, though.0 Helpful
Taste might have been borderline three, but simplicity pushed it up!0 Helpful
Loved this salad!!!0 Helpful
Excellent and easy to pull together. Everyone loved the chicken even though I typically use beef for tacos.0 Helpful
Needed two more TBSP of water for dressing. So good and came together easily! Will use the taco seasoning recipe again!0 Helpful