Taco Salad with Ground Turkey
and creamy avocado dressing
Smarts: This salad uses the same avocado dressing as in Tuesday’s meal to simplify prep for the week, but if you’re making this meal on its own or want a different dressing, try it with the Honey-Adobo Dressing featured in this version and shown in the photos.
- Avocados - 1
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz, shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4, chopped
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make avocado dressing - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday’s meal.) Cube avocados. Combine avocados with water, cilantro leaves, vinegar, lime juice, honey, mustard, and hot sauce. Use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend until smooth, adding more water as needed until the mixture is smooth and pourable. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute until turkey is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Finish with turkey and cheese.
- Top salads with dressing. Serve with tortilla chips (crumble these over top or use them to scoop up the other ingredients). Enjoy!
Only had 8 ounces of meat so added in some pinto beans. Everyone loved it.1 Helpful
Very good, easy to deconstruct for the kids. They really like the taco meat, which I doubled the spices for. Dressing was very tasty, but doesn't keep very well for other recipe.0 Helpful
I only made the salad dressing based off of reviews. It was really easy and tasty. We put it on fish (stick) tacos, which was great.0 Helpful
Really liked it. Used beef instead of turkey. Added black beans. Skipped the dressing and added sliced avocados on top with sour cream. Super easy.0 Helpful
Really love this green dressing. A great way to use up iffy avocados!0 Helpful
Quick easy and easily modified for tastes.0 Helpful
Super easy to pull together and very tasty! Family loved it!0 Helpful