Veggie Burger in a Bowl
with oven fries / tomatoes / creamy avocado dressing / arugula
The Cook Smarts team had a lot of fun developing this California-inspired veggie burger that is served in a bowl instead of a bun. We didn't want things to feel *too* light, so we included french fries that are great served in the bowl or on the side (dipped in creamy avocado dressing).
Smarts: Avocados vary in size and ripeness, so be sure to follow the instructions to adjust the dressing both for taste and texture. You may need to thin it out so that it can easily be poured over the other ingredients. If making Thursday's meal, double the dressing and save some for that night's salad.
- Onions, medium and red - 1/4, diced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 1
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Frozen oven fries, any type - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Black Bean Burger Patties (ingredients listed separately) - 4
- Arugula - 5 oz
- Avocados - 1
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Onions - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating for fries before continuing with prep.) Dice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make burger patties - Drain and rinse beans. Place beans in a mixing bowl and mash with a pastry blender or fork, leaving some larger pieces of beans intact for texture. Combine beans with onions, panko, flour, soy sauce, chili powder, paprika, coriander, salt, black pepper, and eggs. Form the mixture into burger-shaped patties - one per serving. (Note: If the mixture is too sticky to work with, add some additional flour until the burgers can be easily shaped.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make avocado dressing - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Cube avocados. Combine avocados with water, cilantro leaves, vinegar, lime juice, honey, mustard, and hot sauce. Use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend until smooth, adding more water as needed until the mixture is smooth and pourable. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Heat oven and bake frozen fries according to package directions.
- While oven fries bake, heat a skillet with oil over medium heat. Add burger patties in a single layer and sear on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Assemble bowls with a bed of arugula and tomatoes topped with burger patties.
- Finish bowls with dressing and / or serve some on the side for dipping fries (reserve half the dressing if doubled). Serve the fries in the bowls and enjoy everything together or serve the fries on the side.
Decent, honestly I didn't think it was amazing but was good for a change and not too heavy which is good in the heat of summer. I blended the bean mixture a little finer in a food processor because though I diced the onions they were a bit chunky and I knew I my kids caught wind of chunks of onion all attempts would be off. Worked find except food processor ended up making the mixture very wet so had to keep adding bread crumbs and flour so that it wouldn't be just a paste! Still was on the wet side even after adding a fair bit more of both, so shaped them and baked them for a bit before putting them on the stovetop pan so that they would hold together. I will say my 12 year-old did eat his so that was a win! My 15 year-old was a no. Though she tends to reject alot of different spices...1 Helpful
This was sooo good!! Everyone in the family loved it!0 Helpful
Like this but was a little spicy. I will make again with less chili powder.0 Helpful
Quick and easy to make. Can't complain about the taste, but I think I would have appreciated the patty to have a little more flavor. Would make again and slightly tweak seasonings. :)0 Helpful
5 stars for these ease of meal idea. To make it even easier we used chipotle black bean burgers we had I’m the freezer and put the sweet potato waffle fries I’m the air fryer. I made the dressing exactly as the recipe called for and thought it was tasty but would be good with some garlic.0 Helpful
First time making veggie burgers, it was a little dry. Liked the bowl concept, sweet potato fries were good, just not my favorite CS meal0 Helpful
I liked this but didn’t care enough for the avocado dressing to have it twice this week so I made a simple garlic aioli to dress it with instead.0 Helpful