Lemony Kale Salad with Sardines
with soft-boiled eggs / avocados / cucumbers
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, stems removed, leaves chopped
- Sardines (4 oz / 115 g) - 1 can, drained and chopped (sub canned tuna)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 2 tsp
- Tahini (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - (If prepping right before cooking, get water for the eggs boiling before continuing with prep.) Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, tahini, mustard, and honey. Add oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Avocados / Kale / Sardines - Prep as directed.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil for the eggs.
- Meanwhile, combine kale, oil (portion for salad), and salt in a mixing bowl. Use your hands to rub the oil into the kale. (This step to “massage” the kale helps to make the leaves more tender before you assemble the rest of the salad.)
- When water is boiling, add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this should yield cooked whites and runny yolks so adjust the time if you’d like your eggs cooked differently).
- When eggs are finished, transfer to a colander and run under cool water.
- Peel eggs. Slice in half and season lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by tossing kale, cucumbers, avocados, and almonds in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Top salads with sardines and eggs. Enjoy!
Delicious! Could have just eaten the chickpea salad with a spoon. Toasted the bread a little too long, so it was falling out everywhere, but no one minded. Followed directions almost exactly - except that we forgot the cucumbers. Added some fruit as a side to round things out. So nice to have one that doesn't take too long, either!1 Helpful
Added cayenne for a little pop.0 Helpful
Really good and love how easy it was to put together!0 Helpful
So good and so Easy!! Husband did a sandwich and i did a lettuce wrap. Loved and will make it again for an easy lunch!0 Helpful
I double the dill relish on this, and we love it, have made it twice already.0 Helpful
So good and a great alternative to a tuna or chicken salad!0 Helpful
I was nervous about this one but it was great! Such a nice alternative to tuna salad.0 Helpful