Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
with tomatoes / red onions / chips
For a vegetarian spin on a classic sandwich (think tuna or chicken salad), mashed chickpeas are surprisingly satisfying.
Smarts: As with other creamy protein-based salads, be sure to taste and customize, adding more seasoning, mustard, or relish if you'd like.
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Pickle relish - 1 Tbsp (sub any type of pickles, finely diced)
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions, red and medium - 1/4, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, Bibb or Boston leaf - 4 leaves
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Chickpea Salad (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 1/2 cups
- Chips, any type - 6 oz
- Make chickpea salad - Chop green onions and set aside. Drain and rinse beans. Transfer beans to a mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender, potato masher, or the back of a large spoon to mash beans until beans are broken apart and some are smooth and creamy. (For texture, it’s a good idea to leave some larger pieces of beans.) To beans, add green onions, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Add some more mayonnaise if you’d like it creamier. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Toast bread.
- Layer chickpea salad, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce between slices of sandwich bread.
- Serve sandwiches with chips on the side. Enjoy!
Delicious! Could have just eaten the chickpea salad with a spoon. Toasted the bread a little too long, so it was falling out everywhere, but no one minded. Followed directions almost exactly - except that we forgot the cucumbers. Added some fruit as a side to round things out. So nice to have one that doesn't take too long, either!1 Helpful
Really good and love how easy it was to put together!0 Helpful
So good and so Easy!! Husband did a sandwich and i did a lettuce wrap. Loved and will make it again for an easy lunch!0 Helpful
I double the dill relish on this, and we love it, have made it twice already.0 Helpful
So good and a great alternative to a tuna or chicken salad!0 Helpful
I was nervous about this one but it was great! Such a nice alternative to tuna salad.0 Helpful
Easy and fast enough for a quick lunch!0 Helpful