Avocado Toast on a Bagel
with poached egg / marinated tomatoes
This is no ordinary avocado toast. Add a poached egg and serve the whole thing on a bagel for a substantial meal that you'll want to eat with a knife and fork.
Smarts: We couldn't resist adding the option of sprinkling Everything Bagel Seasoning on top of this dish. This seasoning mix is becoming more widely available and there are plenty of recipes online, but feel free to skip it if you prefer.
- Bagels - 4, halved
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Eggs - 8
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Arugula - 3 oz
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Everything Bagel Seasoning (opt) - 2 tsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 2 cups, halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Shallots / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get water for eggs heating while you work on prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tomatoes - Combine shallots, tomatoes, parsley, vinegar (portion for tomatoes), and olive oil (portion for tomatoes). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bagels - If not already sliced, slice in half lengthwise.
- Avocados - Mash avocados and stir in first portion of lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste if you’d like.
- Eggs - Crack each egg into a small ramekin or teacup. (Don’t skip this step as it will help you to transfer the eggs to hot water quickly so that they cook evenly.)
- Fill a large saute pan with water. Add vinegar (portion for avocado toast) and some salt. Place over high heat until it begins to boil.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set it near the stovetop.
- When water is boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer (a few small bubbles rising from the bottom). Gently tip each egg into the simmering water so that none are touching. Simmer eggs to your desired degree of doneness (for cooked whites and soft yolks, this should take 4 to 5 minutes; remove one of the eggs and test it if needed).
- Use a slotted spoon to move cooked eggs to paper towel-lined plate.
- While eggs are poaching, toast bagels.
- Toss arugula with second portion of lemon juice, olive oil (portion for avocado toast), and Everything Bagel Seasoning. (If not using seasoning, season with some salt and pepper.)
- Set bagel halves out on serving plates, cut-side up. Spread each half with mashed avocado. Top with arugula and poached eggs. Season the eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Serve bagels with tomatoes on the side. Enjoy!
Easy and good but didn’t love it0 Helpful
I found this pretty boring.0 Helpful
This is so simple and so good. I made a version using tiny pizza dough rounds instead of bagels and it was kinda awesome. Made a deconstructed version for the kids and they loved it too. Super fast meal we will for sure do again. More suited to a brunch than a dinner but who doesn't love Brinner now and then?0 Helpful
This was great! Except we ate all of our salmon so we didn't have enough for leftovers. I am usually not a bagel fan but we got everything bagels and they were so yummy with this. Next time I'd get more salmon and do as others suggest by adding an egg.1 Helpful
Really liked it! But not an instant fave. Moderate amount of prep.0 Helpful
This was okay but I think I just may not like smoked salmon0 Helpful