Avocado Toast on a Bagel
with smoked salmon / marinated tomatoes
This is no ordinary avocado toast. Add smoked salmon and serve the whole thing on a bagel for a substantial meal that you'll want to eat with a knife and fork.
Smarts: We couldn't resist adding the option of sprinkling Everything Bagel Seasoning on top of this dish. This seasoning mix is becoming more widely available and there are plenty of recipes online, but feel free to skip it if you prefer.
- Smoked salmon - 4 oz
- Bagels - 4, halved
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Arugula - 3 oz
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Everything Bagel Seasoning (opt) - 2 tsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 2 cups, halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Shallots / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tomatoes - Combine shallots, tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, and olive oil (portion for tomatoes). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Salmon - Slice or tear salmon into small pieces that will easily fit on bagel halves.
- Bagels - If not already sliced, slice in half lengthwise.
- Avocados - Mash avocados and stir in first portion of lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste if you’d like.
- Toast bagels.
- Toss arugula with second portion of lemon juice, olive oil (portion for avocado toast), and Everything Bagel Seasoning. (If not using seasoning, season with some salt and pepper.)
- Set bagel halves out on serving plates, cut-side up. Spread each half with mashed avocado. Top with salmon and arugula.
- Serve bagels with tomatoes on the side. Enjoy!
Added scrambled eggs for the non-salmon eaters and mozzarella cheese to the tomato salad. A big hit!0 Helpful
Easy and good but didn’t love it0 Helpful
I found this pretty boring.0 Helpful
This is so simple and so good. I made a version using tiny pizza dough rounds instead of bagels and it was kinda awesome. Made a deconstructed version for the kids and they loved it too. Super fast meal we will for sure do again. More suited to a brunch than a dinner but who doesn't love Brinner now and then?0 Helpful
This was great! Except we ate all of our salmon so we didn't have enough for leftovers. I am usually not a bagel fan but we got everything bagels and they were so yummy with this. Next time I'd get more salmon and do as others suggest by adding an egg.1 Helpful
Really liked it! But not an instant fave. Moderate amount of prep.0 Helpful