Chickpea and Kale Tomato Sauce
with spaghetti squash
- Spaghetti squash - 1, roasted and de-stranded
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Onion - 1, diced
- Kale - 1 bunch, stems chopped, leaves torn
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Za'atar - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Garbanzo beans - 2 cups
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Spaghetti squash - If you've never worked with this type of squash, definitely watch this video! Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Place squash in microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping once in the middle. This softens the rind up so you can slice into it. Slice off one end to form a flat base. Rest on flat base and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and then place on sheet pan and cook for 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to work take a fork or spoon and scrape out 'spaghetti' strands. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Kale - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan over low to medium heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add in onions and kale stems with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes with za'atar and paprika. Simmer for another 3 minutes and then add in kale leaves, as much as can fit into the pan. Add more as room is made. Toss in chickpeas and then simmer for another 4 to 6 minutes. Finish with lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss sauce with spaghetti squash.
This was a last minute decision. I had everything I needed to make it and this seemed like a good healthy meal that would not take too long. I added some mushrooms and a small amount of spaghetti sauce that was just sitting in my refrigerator. It was really good. My husband added some grated cheese at the table.0 Helpful
Sauce was delicious. Ended up making some modifications based on what I had in my kitchen by using a baby kale and spinach mix as well as switching out the spices for basil and oregano. Everything was a touch watery but overall I really enjoyed this dish!0 Helpful
The recommended 3 minute cooking time for the kale stems yielded some pretty tough stems. Otherwise, this an OK dish.0 Helpful
The sauce was okay. Not the recipes fault but my squash was bitter. The kids would only eat the chickpea part with some pasta i cooked on the side. The flavour was okay just not a favourite.0 Helpful
I thought it was yummy but my spaghetti squash was a bit too crunchy for my liking. Next time I will cook it to be a bit softer.0 Helpful
I only had a 14oz can of crushed tomatoes, so added the chick peas w/o draining. Used 2 t of smoked paprika. Next time I think I'll add some sausage. I discarded the kale stalks & just used the leaves. Sauce was delicious.0 Helpful