Cajun-Style Fried Cauliflower ‘Rice’
with andouille sausage
Our weeknight-friendly paleo twist on Cajun 'Dirty' Rice is made the same way we would make any fried rice. Saute meat and aromatics and then add cauliflower rice, vegetables, and (in this version) a good dose of Cajun seasoning. The tall sides of a wok promote even cooking, but a skillet works great here as well.
Smarts: Want a little more protein? We love this dish and / or the leftovers with a fried egg on top!
- Cauliflower - 1 lb, florets
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Celery - 3 stalks, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, chopped
- Sausage, andouille - 12 oz, chopped (sub any type of pre-cooked or smoked sausage)
- Okra, fresh or frozen - 10 oz, chopped (sub chopped green beans)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sage, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Celery / Bell peppers / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, celery, and bell peppers. Store sausage separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, chop. If using frozen okra, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is well browned and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. If sausage released a lot of oil, drain off any excess before continuing.
- Add onions, white parts of green onions, celery, and bell peppers and saute until tender, ~5 minutes more.
- Add okra and saute to heat through, ~3 minutes.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning, sage, and aminos and cook for 1 minute to coat sausage and vegetables.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook, tossing everything to combine well, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions on top, lime wedges, and hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Quick and easy! Like a super fast jambalaya. It made a LOT of food. We easily got six servings instead of four.1 Helpful
Pretty good weeknight meal.0 Helpful
Solid, comfort food0 Helpful
Really good and easy0 Helpful
Ok - too spicy for the kids0 Helpful
We loved this one. I added more seasonings and soy sauce.0 Helpful
This was a lot of stove top time for the summer in FL. It was just okay for us - husband didn't love it.0 Helpful