Cajun-Style Fried Dirty Rice
with andouille sausage / kidney beans
Smarts: Want a little more protein? We love this dish and / or the leftovers with a fried egg on top!
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Celery - 3 stalks, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, chopped
- Sausage, andouille - 12 oz, chopped (sub any type of pre-cooked or smoked sausage)
- Okra, fresh or frozen - 10 oz, chopped (sub chopped green beans)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sage, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 2 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Onions / Celery / Bell peppers / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, celery, and bell peppers. Store sausage separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, chop. If using frozen okra, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is well browned and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. If sausage released a lot of oil, drain off any excess before continuing.
- Add onions, white parts of green onions, celery, and bell peppers and saute until tender, ~5 minutes more.
- Add okra and beans and saute to heat through, ~3 minutes.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning, sage, and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute to coat sausage and vegetables.
- Add rice and cook, tossing everything to combine well, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve rice with green parts of green onions on top, lime wedges, and hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Quick and easy! Like a super fast jambalaya. It made a LOT of food. We easily got six servings instead of four.1 Helpful
This was really flavorful and quick, and the leftovers reheated well - I’ll definitely make this again!0 Helpful
Made this on a day I had no plans for dinner, because I happened to have most of the ingredients on hand. Omitted the sage and green onion and did chard stems instead of celery. Super flavorful and easy. Ready in 40 minutes even without advance prep0 Helpful
so easy, so delicious. I doubled the soy and cajun as recommended by others.0 Helpful
Pretty good weeknight meal.0 Helpful
Solid, comfort food0 Helpful
Really good and easy0 Helpful