Cajun-Style Fried Dirty Rice
with andouille sausage / kidney beans
Our weeknight-friendly twist on Cajun 'Dirty' Rice is made the same way we would make any fried rice. Saute meat and aromatics and then add rice, vegetables, and (in this version) a good dose of Cajun seasoning. The tall sides of a wok promote even cooking, but a skillet works great here as well.
Smarts: Want a little more protein? We love this dish and / or the leftovers with a fried egg on top!
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Celery - 3 stalks, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, chopped
- Sausage, andouille - 12 oz, chopped (sub any type of pre-cooked or smoked sausage)
- Okra, fresh or frozen - 10 oz, chopped (sub chopped green beans)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sage, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 2 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Onions / Celery / Bell peppers / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions, celery, and bell peppers. Store sausage separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, chop. If using frozen okra, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is well browned and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. If sausage released a lot of oil, drain off any excess before continuing.
- Add onions, white parts of green onions, celery, and bell peppers and saute until tender, ~5 minutes more.
- Add okra and beans and saute to heat through, ~3 minutes.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning, sage, and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute to coat sausage and vegetables.
- Add rice and cook, tossing everything to combine well, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve rice with green parts of green onions on top, lime wedges, and hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Ok - too spicy for the kids0 Helpful
We loved this one. I added more seasonings and soy sauce.0 Helpful
This was a lot of stove top time for the summer in FL. It was just okay for us - husband didn't love it.0 Helpful
My only comment on this one is more like 40 minutes cook time and I did the prep in advance. This was so good both my husband and I love this especially with the okra!0 Helpful
Absolutely loved this! We didn’t have beans and used some spicy chicken sausage. Will definitely be making this again. Really great flavor and super quick to bring together.0 Helpful
We liked this recipe with some hot sauce and sour cream added. We used shrimp instead of sausage.0 Helpful