Cajun-Style Fried Dirty Rice
with andouille sausage / kidney beans
Our weeknight-friendly twist on Cajun 'Dirty' Rice is made the same way we would make any fried rice. Saute meat and aromatics and then add rice, vegetables, and (in this version) a good dose of Cajun seasoning. The tall sides of a wok promote even cooking, but a skillet works great here as well.
Smarts: Want a little more protein? We love this dish and / or the leftovers with a fried egg on top!
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Celery - 3 stalks , chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , chopped
- Sausage, andouille - 12 oz , chopped (sub any type of pre-cooked or smoked sausage)
- Okra, fresh or frozen - 10 oz , chopped (sub chopped green beans)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sage, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - 2 cups
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Okra - If using fresh okra, chop. If using frozen okra, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a large skillet or wok with oil over medium heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage is well browned and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. If sausage released a lot of oil, drain off any excess before continuing.
Add onions, white parts of green onions, celery, and bell peppers and saute until tender, ~5 minutes more.
Add okra and beans and saute to heat through, ~3 minutes.
Stir in Cajun seasoning, sage, and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute to coat sausage and vegetables.
Add rice and cook, tossing everything to combine well, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
Serve rice with green parts of green onions on top, lime wedges, and hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!