Za’atar Tofu Poke Bowl
with avocado / cucumbers / baby spinach / rice
Smarts: There are lots of toppings in these bowls. Feel free to skip one or substitute with something else you have on hand.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2 cups
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm thick 'steaks' (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Oil, cooking - 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 3 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Oranges - 1, segments
- Pine nuts - 2 tsp (sub any type of chopped nuts)
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/4 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make aioli - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, and paprika. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make cucumber salad - Chop cucumbers. Combine cucumbers with olive oil and vinegar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tofu - Slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick 'steaks'. Toss with first portion of cooking oil, za’atar, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Spinach / Green onions / Avocados / Oranges - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or well-seasoned skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and toast, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- To heated pan add second portion of cooking oil and then tofu. Cook tofu on one side until golden brown. Use a spatula to gently flip tofu and cook on the other side. Continue cooking until tofu is golden brown and heated through, 4 to 7 minutes total.
- Stir green onions into tofu.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Wednesday).
- Give cucumber salad a stir and season it with some salt and pepper.
- Set out all of the toppings so that everyone can assemble their own bowls. Or assemble bowls with a bed of chopped spinach and rice topped with avocados, oranges, cucumber salad, tofu, pine nuts, and aioli (reserve half of the aioli if doubled). Enjoy!
I made a mix of the original and paleo. I also didn’t cube up the salmon but roasted it whole in the oven with z’tar, aminos and oil mixed spread over the salmon. Baked @400 for 10 minutes.2 Helpful
So yummy! Used the pistachios and cashews we had on hand with arugula.0 Helpful
It was excellent. I used brown rice which also added a nice nutty texture to the bowl. I didn’t like the aioli so next time I’ll just skip it. The salmon flavor from the za’atar was wonderful!0 Helpful
Thought this was solid, but not quite outstanding.0 Helpful
Delicious! First time making a poke bowl and thought it was fairly easy. Flavors were great!0 Helpful
Vegetarian version - I loved this. I'm a big fan of bowls, and I think these elements together were very tasty.0 Helpful