Summer Chopped Chicken Salad
with prosciutto / cucumbers / cantaloupe / pistachios
We featured this salad last in 2019, but it's such a seasonal favorite in our community that it just didn't feel like midsummer without it. Best of all, thanks to leftover chicken from Monday, it's a breeze to throw this one together.
Smarts: If making Thursday's burgers, don't forget to set aside a few large lettuce leaves before chopping the lettuce for tonight.
- Celery (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped
- Grilled Dijon Chicken (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped
- Prosciutto (opt) - 2 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cantaloupe - 10 oz, cubed
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (look for pre-shelled pistachios to save time)
- Blue cheese - 3 oz, crumbled (sub feta or goat cheese)
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use large grain / stone ground if you have it)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Celery / Chicken / Prosciutto - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cucumbers / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cantaloupe - Cube cantaloupe.
- If you’d like the chicken warm, heat in the microwave.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce. Top lettuce with prosciutto, chicken, cucumbers, celery, white and green parts of onions, cantaloupe, and pistachios. Crumble cheese over top. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
Wish I would have used regular honey Dijon instead of whole grain0 Helpful
I initially thought this was too many components for a salad, but it's delicious!!0 Helpful
Such a surprising combination of flavors that came together really nicely!0 Helpful
Had to make do with what I could get, so subbed nectarines for cantaloupe and salami for the prosciutto. I've made this before and prefer using regular vs. whole grain Dijon.0 Helpful
I almost didn’t make this because I usually hate eating leftover chicken. I’m so glad I did. It was a perfect summer salad. I didn’t have blue cheese but had the smaller balls of fresh mozzarella that I substituted. I forgot to add the pistachios. Didn’t feel like the salad was missing anything but if I make again I would love to try with them.0 Helpful
Loved the combination. Skipped cheese, but would use feta next time. Also did pecans instead of pistachio because we were out. Cantaloupe was a great addition!0 Helpful