Summer Chopped Chicken Salad
with prosciutto / cucumbers / cantaloupe / pistachios
We featured this salad last in 2019, but it's such a seasonal favorite in our community that it just didn't feel like midsummer without it. Best of all, thanks to leftover chicken from Monday, it's a breeze to throw this one together.
Smarts: If making Thursday's burgers, don't forget to set aside a few large lettuce leaves before chopping the lettuce for tonight.
- Celery (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped
- Grilled Dijon Chicken (leftover from Monday) - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped
- Prosciutto (opt) - 2 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cantaloupe - 10 oz, cubed
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (look for pre-shelled pistachios to save time)
- Blue cheese - 3 oz, crumbled (sub feta or goat cheese)
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use large grain / stone ground if you have it)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Celery / Chicken / Prosciutto - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cucumbers / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cantaloupe - Cube cantaloupe.
- If you’d like the chicken warm, heat in the microwave.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce. Top lettuce with prosciutto, chicken, cucumbers, celery, white and green parts of onions, cantaloupe, and pistachios. Crumble cheese over top. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
Loved the combination. Skipped cheese, but would use feta next time. Also did pecans instead of pistachio because we were out. Cantaloupe was a great addition!0 Helpful
Came together very quickly.0 Helpful
This is such a great summer salad! I love the contrast of flavors and textures.0 Helpful
Best. Salad. Ever. Seriously! I love salads and eat them all the time - but this one is my favorite so far. My whole family plus my friend and her daughter had this after a day on the lake and it was not only easy to put together it was so tasty. The flavors just work so well together. Some members of my family don't care for blue cheese or green onions... but I told them just to try it all together. We all loved it. We will make this often. I made it exactly as written. The dressing is also a star. I used red wine vinegar and dijon mustard FYI. Delicious!!!!0 Helpful
It was easy to prep and the flavor if the chicken us delicious!0 Helpful
Left out the ingredients so kids could assemble their own salad. It was a hit!0 Helpful