Summer Spaghetti Carbonara
with asparagus / squash
Spaghetti Carbonara is a weeknight favorite in our community, and we're always adjusting in search of your (and our) new favorite! This version is a slightly simplified (and we think improved) twist on this recipe.
Smarts 1: Reviewers asked for more of the creamy sauce that's made just with eggs and parmesan, so we increased the amount in this recipe to use 1 full egg and 2 egg yolks (for 4 servings). If you know you want a higher amount of extra creamy sauce, try adding an additional one or even two more egg yolks.
Smarts 2: Don't forget to generously salt your pasta water. That step builds an important base of flavor.
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz, grated (plus extra for topping)
- Squash, yellow or zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Asparagus - 10 oz, chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Egg yolks - 2, discard whites or use in another recipe
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pasta, bucatini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or linguine)
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - to taste
- Cheese / Squash / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and cheese until evenly combined. (You want this sauce ready to go so that the pasta can be tossed in this bowl right after cooking.)
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a large skillet with oil over low-medium heat. Add squash and asparagus. Saute vegetables until tender, 5 to 7 minutes, seasoning with some salt and pepper as they cook. (Note: If your asparagus spears are very thin, wait to add them until the squash is about halfway done cooking.) Squeeze lemon juice over vegetables and set them aside.
- When the water for the pasta is boiling, add pasta and set a timer for it to cook according to package directions.
- When pasta is done, reserve ¼ cup / 59 mL of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing).
- Drain pasta.
- Working quickly so the pasta stays hot, add hot pasta to mixing bowl with eggs and cheese. (The eggs will cook as you toss them with pasta.)
- Use tongs or two forks to toss hot pasta with egg mixture, 20 to 30 times. As you toss the pasta, add reserved pasta water a bit at a time just until the sauce looks smooth and shiny. (You may not need all of the reserved pasta water.)
- Add vegetables to pasta and toss to combine. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with red pepper flakes, black pepper, and some extra cheese. Enjoy!
Made vegan adding a little Miyokos butter and vegan Parmesan cheese along with the pasta water. I also added garlic and shallots. I did not use eggs. Turned out great.1 Helpful
Added chicken, mushrooms, yellow onion and subbed red bell pepper for the zucchini! Added a little Italian seasoning...delish!0 Helpful
So good! Kids ate it up, too. Will definitely make again0 Helpful
We subbed green beans for asparagus (so much less expensive) and it was great.0 Helpful
The whole family loved this. Next time I would do half the amount of bacon and maybe add some more pasta. Love the body of bucatini.0 Helpful
We added chicken breast. SO good.0 Helpful
Subbed green beans for asparagus as usual.0 Helpful