Summer Squash, Bacon, and Asparagus Frittata
with roasted paprika sweet potatoes
- Squash, yellow or zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Asparagus - 10 oz, chopped
- Bacon - 8 slices, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Potatoes / Squash / Asparagus / Bacon - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil and paprika and season with some salt and pepper. Spread into one even layer on a dark sheet pan (for better browning). Roast in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until tender, shaking the pan halfway through. (Note: timing will vary depending on the thickness of the wedges. If your potato wedges are quite thin, wait and add them to the oven at the same time as the frittata.)
- Heat a 9” to 10” (22.5 cm to 25 cm) skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and saute until bacon turns crips, 4 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but about 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease and return pan to heat.
- To heated skillet add squash and asparagus. Saute vegetables until tender, 5 to 7 minutes, seasoning with some salt and pepper as they cook. (Note: If your asparagus spears are very thin, wait to add them until the squash is about halfway done cooking.)
- Pour in egg mixture. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Scatter bacon over top of frittata. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata. Serve with sweet potato wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Made vegan adding a little Miyokos butter and vegan Parmesan cheese along with the pasta water. I also added garlic and shallots. I did not use eggs. Turned out great.1 Helpful
My daughter loved it. I was not 100% sure how much an ounce of cheese is so I just guessed0 Helpful
Quick meal, but a little bland even with garlic added. Substituted mushrooms and zucchini.0 Helpful
Added chicken, mushrooms, yellow onion and subbed red bell pepper for the zucchini! Added a little Italian seasoning...delish!0 Helpful
So good! Kids ate it up, too. Will definitely make again0 Helpful
We subbed green beans for asparagus (so much less expensive) and it was great.0 Helpful