Summer Spaghetti Carbonara
with bacon / asparagus / squash
Smarts 1: Reviewers asked for more of the creamy sauce that's made just with eggs and parmesan, so we increased the amount in this recipe to use 1 full egg and 2 egg yolks (for 4 servings). If you know you want a higher amount of extra creamy sauce, try adding an additional one or even two more egg yolks.
Smarts 2: Don't forget to generously salt your pasta water. That step builds an important base of flavor.
- Cheese, parmesan - 1 oz, grated
- Squash, yellow or zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Asparagus - 10 oz, chopped
- Bacon - 8 slices, chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Egg yolks - 2, discard whites or use in another recipe
- Pasta, bucatini - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or linguine)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Reserved pasta water - 1/4 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - to taste
- Cheese / Squash / Asparagus / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and cheese until evenly combined. (You want this sauce ready to go so that the pasta can be tossed in this bowl right after cooking.)
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add chopped bacon and saute until bacon turns crisp, 4 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but about 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease and return pan to heat.
- When the water for the pasta is boiling, add pasta and set a timer for it to cook according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, return to heated skillet and add squash and asparagus. Saute vegetables until tender, 5 to 7 minutes, seasoning with some salt and pepper as they cook. (Note: If your asparagus spears are very thin, wait to add them until the squash is about halfway done cooking.) Squeeze lemon juice over vegetables and set them aside.
- When pasta is done, reserve ¼ cup / 59 mL of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing).
- Drain pasta.
- Working quickly so the pasta stays hot, add hot pasta to mixing bowl with eggs and cheese. (The eggs will cook as you toss them with pasta.)
- Use tongs or two forks to toss hot pasta with egg mixture, 20 to 30 times. As you toss the pasta, add reserved pasta water a bit at a time just until the sauce looks smooth and shiny. (You may not need all of the reserved pasta water.)
- Add vegetables to pasta and toss to combine. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with bacon, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and some extra cheese. Enjoy!
Made vegan adding a little Miyokos butter and vegan Parmesan cheese along with the pasta water. I also added garlic and shallots. I did not use eggs. Turned out great.1 Helpful
My daughter loved it. I was not 100% sure how much an ounce of cheese is so I just guessed0 Helpful
Quick meal, but a little bland even with garlic added. Substituted mushrooms and zucchini.0 Helpful
Added chicken, mushrooms, yellow onion and subbed red bell pepper for the zucchini! Added a little Italian seasoning...delish!0 Helpful
So good! Kids ate it up, too. Will definitely make again0 Helpful
We subbed green beans for asparagus (so much less expensive) and it was great.0 Helpful