Slow Cook Asian-Style Short Ribs
with carrots and turnips
Let your slow cooker infuse fragrant Asian flavors into short ribs, carrots, and turnips, and then watch the meat fall off the bone. Our vegetarians will be substituting tofu and shiitakes for the short ribs. Finish this dish by turning the slow cooker liquids into a sauce for even more flavor.
- Bone-in short ribs - 4 lbs ((for non bone-in, get ~2 lbs.))
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Ginger - 1 inch, peeled and sliced
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, chopped
- Turnips or daikon radish - 3/4 lb, chopped
- Orange juice - 1/4 cup ((you're welcome to make fresh!))
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/2 cup
- Rice vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Corn starch - 1 Tbsp
- Short ribs - Season with salt and pepper and then sear on both sides in a skillet for 3 minutes each.
- Garlic / Ginger / Carrots / Turnips or Daikon Radish - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Start slow cooking (at least 5 hours before) - Whisk together garlic, ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and water. Pour into slow cooker and then layer in short ribs, carrots and turnips / radish. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours, until meat is tender and falling off bone. (Can be done up to 5 days before and then stored in fridge in air-tight containers)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Remove ribs and vegetables from the slow cooker. Use a spoon to skim off any of the fat in the sauce, and transfer sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix corn starch with 1 tbs. (15 ml) of cold water. Add to boiling sauce and stir. Simmer until thickened. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, or honey.
- Spoon short ribs and vegetables over rice. Drizzle with sauce.
Very easy to prepare. Flavors were great and meat was soooo tender! I'd probably add the veggies in half way through instead of at the beginning though.0 Helpful
It smelled much better than it tasted. The sauce was good, but very oily. Cooking the veggies with the meat was WAY too long, imo.0 Helpful
Straight out of the slow cooker it was pretty good. If you're going to do left overs, I recommend heating them up in the oven. The microwave just turns it into a congealed fatty mess.0 Helpful
The turnips and ginger took over the whole dish, and we did not care for the flavor at all.0 Helpful
Couldn't find beef rubs so subbed stewing beef. Still tasted really good but will likely add some green veggies next time.0 Helpful
Oh my goodness, this was amazing!! I really loved the flavor of the ingredients, the meat was perfect 'fall off the ribs' good, and I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the turnips!! (so did the kids!!) My husband was oohing and ahhhing the entire meal. One note for myself, the meat was very very greasy and oily... so maybe I'd try another cut of meat?0 Helpful