Curried Rotisserie Chicken Salad Sandwich
Take your chicken salad up a notch with a creamy, mild curry sauce and time-saving rotisserie chicken. While we loved serving this weeknight-friendly chicken salad on store-bought croissants, they still feel like something fun on regular sandwich bread.
Smarts: The degree of creaminess in chicken salad is totally a personal preference, so make a larger batch of creamy curried yogurt sauce and dress the chicken salad as much or as little as you like. The leftover sauce is great for dipping carrots.
- Almonds, sliced - 2 Tbsp
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Celery - 1 stalk, thinly sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Golden raisins (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Croissants - 4, halved lengthwise (sub sandwich rolls or sandwich bread)
- Tomatoes, medium (opt) - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 4 leaves
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Baby carrots - 10 oz (sub regular carrots, thinly sliced)
- Toast almonds - Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and toast, stirring frequently, until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (If making Thursday’s meal, prep chicken for that night at the same time.) Take meat off the bone and shred. Use a knife or your hands. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curried yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Thinly slice celery. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chicken salad - Chop green onions. Combine rotisserie chicken (remember to reserve Thursday’s portion), almonds, celery, green onions, and golden raisins (if using). Add curried yogurt sauce until the chicken salad is as creamy as you’d like it. (Note: You likely will not need to add all of the curried yogurt sauce, so reserve any that remains.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Croissants / Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Toast croissants.
- Give chicken salad a stir. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (If the salad was made ahead, you may want to add a bit more curried yogurt sauce.)
- Fill croissants with tomatoes, lettuce, and chicken salad.
- Serve sandwiches with baby carrots on the side. Dip carrots in any curried yogurt sauce that wasn’t used in the chicken salad. Enjoy!
love the idea of using yogurt instead of all mayo. I added cayenne pepper for some heat and used multi-grain bread.1 Helpful
Very light and well balanced flavor!0 Helpful
Delicious! Don’t skip toasting the almonds, it adds a lovely flavor. Used all yogurt and all of the sauce for our sandwiches (I like it creamy). Will make for lunch sandwiches again.0 Helpful
This was a great, easy recipe for a weeknight. The chicken salad was even better as leftovers0 Helpful
I used eggs instead of chickpeas. Croissants make sandwiches so delicious.0 Helpful
Very tasty and easy to put together!0 Helpful
Great flavors and such a quick and easy meal!0 Helpful