Warm Peking Chicken Salad
with cucumbers / cashews / roasted Napa cabbage
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chinese five spice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Honey Garlic Marinade and Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp + 4 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Carrots - 5 oz, grated (look for pre-grated)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Napa cabbage - 1 head, outer leaves removed, sliced into quarters with the stem intact (sub savoy cabbage)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade / dressing - Whisk together garlic, ginger, cooking oil (portion for marinade / dressing), aminos, vinegar, honey, toasted sesame oil, and five spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while chicken marinates.) Combine chicken with first portion of marinade / dressing. Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Napa cabbage - Remove and discard outer leaves of cabbage. Slice cabbage lengthwise into quarters or wedges, leaving the stem intact so that the wedges hold together. (Watch this video for tips, but stop when the cabbage is in quarters.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Cucumbers / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store green onions in one container. Combine cucumbers and carrots. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet or grill pan with cooking oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to the oven and roast for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- Once chicken is in the oven, place cabbage on a sheet pan, cut-side up. Drizzle cabbage with cooking oil (portion for cabbage). Season with some salt.
- Transfer sheet pan with cabbage to the oven and roast until golden brown around the edges and tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- When chicken and cabbage are done cooking, roughly chop both.
- Assemble salads by tossing together cabbage, chicken, cucumbers, carrots, green onions, and cashews. Finish with second portion of marinade / dressing. Enjoy!
The chicken & wraps were delicious. Our cabbage turned out a little watery , I think the next time I would try to make a slaw instead.1 Helpful
Delicious, though my cucumbers had gone bad by the time I got around to making this, and I think the light crunch would have helped the dish. It also took my chicken a lot longer to cook, but that was probably because I used chicken breasts and they were pretty thick.0 Helpful
Such a perfect summer time meal! We had all the ingredients on hand but swapped out the honey for hot honey...a delicious decision!!0 Helpful
Really good. The chicken was fantastic0 Helpful
Easy & delicious!0 Helpful
This was great! I skipped the cabbage because of time.0 Helpful
One of our absolute favorites. Next time I’ll follow the recipe and buy chicken thighs instead of breasts. 😆0 Helpful