Peking Chicken Wraps
with cucumbers / roasted Napa cabbage
Peking duck may be one of the most famous exported Chinese dishes, but it is incredibly complex to make an authentic version that features crisp duck skin, fresh pancakes, matchstick cucumbers, and rich sauce. Our weeknight-friendly tribute to the original uses chicken, store-bought tortillas, and is much simpler, but still offers the layers of flavors and textures that we love in this iconic dish.
Honey Garlic Marinade and Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chinese five spice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
Peking Chicken Glaze:
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 1 Tbsp
Peking Chicken Wraps:
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Honey Garlic Marinade / Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , matchsticks
- Carrots - 5 oz , grated (look for pre-grated)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 8
- Hoisin sauce - 4 Tbsp
Roasted Napa Cabbage:
- Napa cabbage - 1 head , outer leaves removed, sliced into quarters with the stem intact (sub savoy cabbage)
- Honey Garlic Marinade / Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Whisk together garlic, ginger, cooking oil (portion for marinade / sauce), honey (portion for marinade / sauce), soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and five spice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while chicken marinates.) Combine chicken with marinade / sauce (portion for wraps). Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make glaze - Whisk together honey and Hoisin sauce (portions for glaze). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Napa cabbage - Remove and discard outer leaves of cabbage. Slice cabbage lengthwise into quarters or wedges, leaving the stem intact so that the wedges hold together. (Watch this video for tips, but stop when the cabbage is in quarters.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Cucumbers / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store green onions in one container. Combine cucumbers and carrots. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet or grill pan with cooking oil (portion for wraps) over medium heat. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Brush the top of each chicken thigh with glaze. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- Once chicken is in the oven, place cabbage on a sheet pan, cut-side up. Pour marinade / sauce (portion for cabbage) over tops of cabbage. Season with some salt.
- Transfer sheet pan with cabbage to the oven and roast until golden brown around the edges and tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- When chicken is done, transfer to a cutting board and slice. (Note: You can also chop the cabbage and serve it like a slaw / salad or leave it as wedges for serving.)
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- To serve, fill tortillas with cucumbers, carrots, chicken, Hoisin sauce (portion for wraps), and green onions. Serve with cabbage on the side. Enjoy!