Pesto Fettuccine with Poached Egg
and artichokes / white beans
There's no doubt that you'll get plenty of greens in this flavorful pasta that includes basil pesto and baby spinach. A poached egg on top creates a natural rich sauce as it blends with the pasta.
Pesto Fettuccine with Poached Egg:
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp (sub walnuts)
- Pasta, fettuccine - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Artichoke hearts - 8 oz , chopped (look for these in jars, cans, or frozen)
- Beans, navy or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Eggs - 4
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/2 cup
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , cut into large pieces
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Basil leaves, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Toast pine nuts - Toast nuts (portions for pasta and pesto) in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pesto - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts (portion for pesto), garlic, parmesan cheese (if using), basil leaves, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil (portion for pesto) until smooth. (Add some additional olive oil if needed to help everything blend.) Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If making ahead, toss pasta with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons / Artichoke hearts - Slice lemons into wedges. If using jarred or canned artichokes, drain and rinse them; if using frozen, defrost. If artichokes hearts are in large pieces, roughly chop them. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Eggs - Crack each egg into a small ramekin or teacup. (This makes it easier to transfer the eggs to hot water quickly so that they cook evenly.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Fill a saute pan for eggs with water. Add vinegar and some salt. Bring water to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, heat a wok or large skillet with oil (portion for pasta) over medium heat. Add artichoke hearts and spinach and saute until spinach is wilted. (To speed things up, you can cover the pan with a lid for a minute or two.)
- To vegetables add beans and pasta and saute until everything is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir pesto into pasta until evenly combined (remember to reserve half the pesto if doubled). Set pasta aside, covered to keep warm.
- Return to the boiling water for eggs. Reduce heat to bring the water to a low simmer. Gently tip each egg into simmering water so that none are touching. Simmer eggs to your desired degree of doneness (for cooked whites and soft yolks, this should take 4 to 5 minutes; remove one of the eggs and test it if needed).
- Use a slotted spoon to move cooked eggs to paper towel-lined plate.
- Divide pasta between serving plates and top each serving with a poached egg. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Top with nuts (portion for pasta) and serve with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!