Honey Dijon Lentil Salad
with barley / plums / walnuts
- Barley, hulled and uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Plums - 2, chopped (sub peaches or apricots)
- Butter lettuce - 6 oz, torn or chopped (sub any type of lettuce / greens)
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Goat cheese - 3 oz (sub blue cheese or feta)
- Barley - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for 45 to 55 minutes until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Plums / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts to dry skillet and saute until golden brown and fragrant, ~5 minutes. Set walnuts aside and return skillet to heat.
- To heated skillet add lentils and first part of vinaigrette. Saute until lentils are warmed through and vinaigrette reduces slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Top with green beans, barley, plums, lentils, walnuts, and crumbled cheese. Finish with second part of vinaigrette. Enjoy!
The remember this salad from last year! I was glad to have a reason for plums.0 Helpful
This was absolutely delicious! We had leftover grilled chicken breasts so we didn't even marinate them, just used the dressing only as a dressing. We also used goat cheese. Kept walnuts. For the greens, we used a mix of everything we have in the house - butter lettuce, spinach, romaine, and one night even some arugula. Doesn't matter the green! The balance of flavors is fantastic and very healthy.0 Helpful
Loved this! The only thing my 6yo didn’t like was the lettuce and beans. I call that a win. Enjoyed the barley with this. Next time I’ll double dressing. Also great for using up rotisserie chicken for our non-veggie family members.0 Helpful
Used goat cheese and omg making this again! Pecans instead of walnuts 💯0 Helpful
I did not add bacon and used pecans instead of walnuts. This was an easy delicious salad.0 Helpful
This salad was the bomb! I subbed baby spinach, a peach, and sliced almonds. The combination of flavors was so good. I will definitely make this again!0 Helpful