Quinoa Fried Rice
with ground turkey / fried egg / Sriracha mayo
We featured a version of this protein-packed fried quinoa "rice" back in 2019. This time around we've lightened it up a bit using ground turkey instead of ground pork, but kept in the favorite feature of this meal (according to our community of home cooks) - Sriracha mayo.
Smarts: If you have basil leftover from earlier in the week, chop it and add it to the dish for some extra fresh herb flavor.
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1/2 tsp, more or less, to taste
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Basil (opt) - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Quinoa, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make stir-fry sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice (portion for Sriracha mayo). Taste and add more Sriracha if you’d like it spicier. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Basil (if using) - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen vegetables in the microwave.
- Heat a wok with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey, ground coriander, and a pinch of salt and saute until turkey is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add peas, carrots, and spinach to turkey and continue to saute until spinach is wilted, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa and stir-fry sauce and saute for 1 minute more. Set quinoa aside, covered.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side until whites are set and yolks are still a bit runny, 4 to 6 minutes. (If you’d like the eggs more cooked, flip and cook on the other side.)
- Stir lime juice (portion for quinoa), cilantro, and basil into quinoa. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide quinoa between serving plates / bowls. Top each serving with a fried egg. Serve with Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!
I subbed Trader Joe’s cauliflower fried rice. Would probably use 2 bags next time. Didn’t have spinach or basil. Great and fast!0 Helpful
Tasty! I’m having trouble finding organic tofu, so used shiitake mushrooms I found at our local farmer’s market. Neither the purchased cilantro nor garlic held up long enough to make this recipe, so sprinkled extra coriander AND found a jar of Thai basil in the cupboard. I doubled the sauce as recommended and added some fresh ginger as we needed to use it. I used the “Just Egg” (mung bean product) And Vegenaise to make it fully vegan!0 Helpful
I made my own sriracha sauce from scratch and i used broccoli, cauliflower and celery instead. It was yummy tasted like Asian Korean 😊💖1 Helpful
The basil really adds a ton. I also was glad for the sriracha mayo. We had cabbage so I added that as well. I knew to double the sauce but it was still a little light.1 Helpful
Needs more sauce for sure. It tasted good once I added more of the sauce ingredients1 Helpful
I doubled the stir fry sauce, but still needed to add some salt and hot sauce. The cashew sauce was a strange addition. I also think I'd use pork instead of turkey in the future.1 Helpful