Quinoa Fried Rice
with ground turkey / fried egg / Sriracha mayo
We featured a version of this protein-packed fried quinoa "rice" back in 2019. This time around we've lightened it up a bit using ground turkey instead of ground pork, but kept in the favorite feature of this meal (according to our community of home cooks) - Sriracha mayo.
Smarts: If you have basil leftover from earlier in the week, chop it and add it to the dish for some extra fresh herb flavor.
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1/2 tsp, more or less, to taste
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Basil (opt) - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Quinoa, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make stir-fry sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice (portion for Sriracha mayo). Taste and add more Sriracha if you’d like it spicier. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Basil (if using) - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen vegetables in the microwave.
- Heat a wok with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey, ground coriander, and a pinch of salt and saute until turkey is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add peas, carrots, and spinach to turkey and continue to saute until spinach is wilted, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa and stir-fry sauce and saute for 1 minute more. Set quinoa aside, covered.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side until whites are set and yolks are still a bit runny, 4 to 6 minutes. (If you’d like the eggs more cooked, flip and cook on the other side.)
- Stir lime juice (portion for quinoa), cilantro, and basil into quinoa. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide quinoa between serving plates / bowls. Top each serving with a fried egg. Serve with Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!
I doubled the stir fry sauce, but still needed to add some salt and hot sauce. The cashew sauce was a strange addition. I also think I'd use pork instead of turkey in the future.0 Helpful
Should have doubled the sauce. The mayo and basil make this dish!0 Helpful
Loved it! Basil was a surprising nice touch.0 Helpful
This was good, but not my favorite fried rice variation. I used broccoli in place of the spinach. I wasn't sure about the mayo with fried rice, but it (sort of) worked. It added good flavor, but I thought the creaminess was odd.0 Helpful
Would be 4.5 stars if half stars were possible. Very delicious, sriracha mayo really complements and amplifies the flavors showcasing the diversity of the meal. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
Easy stir fry that packed a lot of flavor. I left out the spinach as I didn't have any, but I'll be making this again with it to taste the difference.0 Helpful