General Tso’s Chicken Stir-fry
We've made a few small changes to this Chinese take-out-inspired favorite since it was featured in 2019, including increasing its sweet and savory sauce.
Smarts: This is a great recipe for customizing with your favorite vegetables, so feel free to swap in whatever you'd prefer.
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Hoisin sauce - 3 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (more or less, to taste)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Farro - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Combine garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and bell peppers and saute until broccoli is starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. (If you would like the broccoli very tender, you can add a splash of water and cover the pan with a lid. This steaming step will help broccoli to cook all the way through.)
- Add chicken to vegetables and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Move chicken and vegetables to the sides of the pan. Give sauce a stir and pour it into the center of the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water. Pour into sauce, stirring to combine.
- When sauce starts to thicken, stir all ingredients together and continue cooking until sauce coats vegetables and chicken.
- If farro was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve General Tso’s chicken and vegetables over farro. Enjoy!
Great sauce. I just went to the recipe because I had to clear out some veggies and wanted a simple stir fry, it was amazing!!0 Helpful
Super good! Made some changes. Used frozen veggies, and she’s chili garlic instead of red pepper flakes and garlic. Hubby loved it.0 Helpful
Leave out stock. Broccoli, carrot coins and sugar snap peas0 Helpful
Pretty good! I made the sauce with only 3/4 cup stock after reading the other comments. A comically small amount of farro though, just like the other meal with farro this week. How are CS portion sizes so small sometimes?! I'd do 1 cup farro next time.0 Helpful
I made the tofu in the air fryer since I don't have the right pan to cook tofu without making a huge mess. Turned out really well! My 7 year old loved it!0 Helpful
These flavors were really great and we really enjoyed it!0 Helpful