Stuffed Chicken Breast with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and roasted green beans
When we featured this meal in 2017 and 2019, it got great reviews for being manageable on a weeknight but still guest-worthy.
Smarts: Don't worry about being super precise with filling and wrapping the chicken. Even if it's not picture-perfect, this meal always feels like something special.
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup (sub pecans)
- Cheese, fontina - 3 oz, shredded (sub provolone or mozzarella)
- Sun-dried Tomato Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, butterflied and flattened
- Parchment paper - for prepping chicken
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Make pesto - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it doesn’t blend easily, add more water a bit at a time. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese - Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make stuffing for chicken - Combine cheese and pesto (portion for tonight’s meal; reserve half if doubled). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place chicken between two pieces of parchment and pound with a tenderizer until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25 cm thick. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning with some salt and pepper. Fill chicken with cheese / pesto stuffing. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans) and season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast, shaking halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While green beans roast, heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for chicken) and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer skillet to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- Whisk together cornstarch and stock.
- When chicken is done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any browned bits in the pan. Next add stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Toss green beans with lemon juice and almonds.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve with sauce on top. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
Delicious! Husband told me to put this on the favorites list to make again. More stuffed chicken!0 Helpful
Great. Would be better if there was a way not to have to pound the chicken.0 Helpful
This recipe made us feel like we were eating at a fancy restaurant. So delicious! And fun to make! My husband said “mmmmmm, so good” after every bite just about.0 Helpful
Loved it! Added bow tie pasta0 Helpful
Got distracted by a book and totally forgot about the lemon juice, almonds, and pan sauce. Was still awesome!0 Helpful
Subbed almond meal for panko. So delicious!0 Helpful