Lemony Dill Chicken Soup with Orzo
and peas / carrots / yogurt
Lemony Dill Chicken Soup:
- Onions, yellow - 1/2 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Dill, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Pasta, uncooked orzo - 1/2 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Peas, frozen - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 4 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Baguette or other fresh bread (opt) - for serving
- Heat a Dutch oven with first portion of oil over low-medium heat. Add chicken and cook on both sides until cooked through, ~8 minutes total. Set chicken aside.
- Add second portion of oil to Dutch oven and increase heat to medium. Add onions, carrots, garlic, and bay leaves and saute until aromatics are starting to turn tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour vinegar over aromatics, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add pasta, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour stock into pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until pasta is nearly tender (check package for recommended cook time).
- While pasta is simmering, chop or shred chicken.
- Return to soup and stir in spinach and peas (no need to defrost them first). Cover pan with a lid to help spinach wilt. Cook until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in chicken, dill, and lemon juice.
- Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with yogurt on top and bread on the side (if you’d like). Enjoy!