Mongolian Tofu Noodles
with bell peppers / snow peas
Mongolian Tofu Noodles:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , cubed (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , thinly sliced
- Noodles, lo mein - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Snow peas, fresh or frozen - 10 oz (sub snap peas)
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Mongolian Stir-fry Sauce:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into small, 1/3” / .7 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Cook noodles according to package instructions. If making ahead, toss with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Season tofu - Toss tofu with salt, pepper, dried coriander, and first portion of cornstarch.
- Heat a wok or skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, add tofu in a single layer. Cook tofu, without stirring, until deep golden brown and crisp on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Use a spatula to flip tofu and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until tofu is golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes more. Transfer tofu to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- To remaining oil in the wok, add bell peppers and saute for ~2 minutes to get started cooking.
- Add sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together second portion of cornstarch and water. Stir into simmering sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add snow peas and cook for 1 minute.
- Add noodles to pan and stir to coat in sauce.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in tofu.
- Serve noodles with some extra red pepper flakes or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!