Warm Salmon and Lentil Salad
with lemon-dill vinaigrette
This protein-packed salad with salmon, lentils, and walnuts was a popular meal when we featured it for the first time in spring of 2016. We've reworked the flavors this time around, marinating the salmon in some of the vinaigrette for maximum flavor and great texture.
Smarts: For the onions in this salad, serve them raw or rinse them in cool water for less oniony “bite”.
- Dill, fresh - 1 tsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Salmon - 1 lb (use skinless salmon filets if available)
- Lemon-Dill Marinade and Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp + 5 Tbsp
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Onions, red - 1/4, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Salad greens of choice - 8 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Olives, kalamata, pitted - 1/3 cup (sub any type of olives)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop dill. Combine with lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Place salmon in a small baking dish. Pour first portion of vinaigrette over salmon (reserve second portion to dress salad) and turn salmon to coat. Marinate salmon in vinaigrette for 20 minutes.
- Walnuts - Toast walnuts in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions - Dice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- If you’d like the onions to have less of a bite, soak them in cool water. Drain before using.
- Remove salmon from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes total, depending on thickness.
- Warm lentils briefly in the microwave.
- If salmon is not already cut into filets, slice it into individual portions or chop / shred it into bite-sized pieces to top salad.
- Assemble salads by spreading greens out on serving plates. Top with crumbled feta, red onions, walnuts, olives, and lentils. Top each salad with salmon and second portion of vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Amazing dish.0 Helpful
Delicious! I used dried Dill (half of fresh) and Trader Joe’s prepared lentils. Kept red onion fresh. Toasted walnuts and put in foil and gave them a couple of taps with the pan I toasted them in. So good! I love the Prep instructions, they make ALL the difference.0 Helpful
Good for a casual weekday meal, nothing spectacular. Skipped the walnuts because I had extra lentils.0 Helpful
Love this one - made it with smoked salmon.0 Helpful
Very delicious! Don't think we changed a thing!0 Helpful
Delicious salad!!! Made dressing several days in advance and it was still tasty.0 Helpful