Marinara Chicken with Toasted Pecan Topping
and roasted broccoli
For this paleo-friendly twist on chicken parmesan, cook everything in a skillet and finish the dish with a garlic and herb pecan crust that will get crisp and golden in the oven.
- Basil - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken tenders - 1 1/2 lbs (sub boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips)
- Marinara sauce - 1 cup (use your favorite store-bought)
- Pecans - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss broccoli and garlic (portion for broccoli) with cooking oil (portion for broccoli). Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Transfer broccoli to the oven and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until broccoli is tender and starting to brown on the edges, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, heat a large oven-safe skillet with cooking oil (portion for chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders and sear on both sides until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Season chicken on both sides with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Move skillet off the heat. Spoon marinara sauce over and around chicken.
- In a small bowl, stir together pecans, garlic (portion for pecan topping), Italian seasoning, and olive oil.
- Top chicken and marinara with seasoned pecans. Transfer skillet to oven and continue cooking until the pecan topping is lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes more. (Broccoli and chicken should finish cooking around the same time.)
- Serve saucy chicken with basil on top and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
Family loved it. Modifications: used pre cooked chicken breasts from Costco and a whole bottle of sauce instead of the small amount recommended because we like it saucy.1 Helpful
Love this quick version of chicken parm!! Sooo easy and always comes out so good!0 Helpful
So easy and delicious!0 Helpful
This came together fairly easily and was really good. I roasted the broccoli (my preferred vegetable cooking meatloaf) and used fresh herbs from the garden instead of Italian seasoning. I will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Delicious topping made it feel more special than 'weeknight'. Will definitely make this again (and again).0 Helpful
Delicious and adding to favorites! Had extra sauce as suggested. All loved it in my house from 1 year old to adults. Will definitely make it again. Might make bit sized chicken chunks next time. My tenders were an odd size for serving. I’d either go larger or smaller.0 Helpful
Very good! Will make again. Definitely need to include extra sauce for the pasta.0 Helpful