Marinara Chicken with Toasted Pecan Topping
and roasted broccoli
For this paleo-friendly twist on chicken parmesan, cook everything in a skillet and finish the dish with a garlic and herb pecan crust that will get crisp and golden in the oven.
- Basil - 8 leaves , chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken tenders - 1 1/2 lbs (sub boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips)
- Marinara sauce - 1 cup (use your favorite store-bought)
- Pecans - 1/2 cup , finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
Roasted Garlic Broccoli:
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli / Pecans / Garlic (for broccoli and pecan topping) - (If prepping right before cooking, get the oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss broccoli and garlic (portion for broccoli) with cooking oil (portion for broccoli). Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Transfer broccoli to the oven and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until broccoli is tender and starting to brown on the edges, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, heat a large oven-safe skillet with cooking oil (portion for chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders and sear on both sides until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Season chicken on both sides with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Move skillet off the heat. Spoon marinara sauce over and around chicken.
- In a small bowl, stir together pecans, garlic (portion for pecan topping), Italian seasoning, and olive oil.
- Top chicken and marinara with seasoned pecans. Transfer skillet to oven and continue cooking until the pecan topping is lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes more. (Broccoli and chicken should finish cooking around the same time.)
- Serve saucy chicken with basil on top and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!