Tortellini with Fresh Tomato Sauce
and zucchini / basil
Smarts: The tomatoes are used to create a fresh, uncooked sauce at the end of cooking, so be sure to get tomatoes that are very ripe and flavorful.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Pasta, uncooked tortellini - 12 oz
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 1 lb, chopped
- Basil - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then zucchini. Saute zucchini until very tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add pasta to pan and continue cooking until pasta is warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in fresh tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Season pasta with some salt and pepper.
- Grate cheese over pasta. Enjoy!
We did it in the oven and had really thick pieces, marinated for an hour. Next time going to marinate longer, use the grill, and watch it more closely because I slightly overcooked it. I didn't get a lot of the flavoring I was expecting...but the leftover pork was AMAZING in fried rice, and we also put it in a burrito with the zucchini and hoisin-mayo, which was awesome.1 Helpful
Added fresh mozzarella and kalamata olives to the pasta.0 Helpful
This was our first Cook Smarts recipe. We all liked it and it was easy to make!0 Helpful
This was the best pork I have ever eaten! Absolutely delicious!!! (We did an overnight marinade for the pork). I think the tortellini salad could use a little extra flavor.0 Helpful
So easy, light, and delicious. I even got to use the fresh basil from my herb garden for the first time!0 Helpful
Really good. Could have just eaten the tortellini as a meal0 Helpful
Easy, simple summer dish. Loved it.0 Helpful