Creamy Chicken and Pesto Pasta
with asparagus / peas
Bring on spring with this creamy pasta that is full of green spring vegetables and pesto for that fresh basil flavor.
Creamy Chicken and Pesto Pasta:
- Pasta, any fun shape - 8 oz
- Bacon - 4 strips , chopped
- Asparagus - 1 bunch , trimmed and cut into 1” / 2.5 cm lengths
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , sliced into thin strips
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Flour - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Pesto, store-bought or homemade - 1/3 cup
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If making ahead, toss it with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bacon / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken into thin strips. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peas - Defrost in the microwave.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease out of the pan. Return pan to medium heat.
- To heated pan add chicken and saute until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate with the bacon.
- To heated pan, add butter and asparagus. Saute for 2 minutes to start asparagus cooking.
- Pour flour over asparagus and stir until no dry spots remain. Pour stock into pan while whisking. Bring stock to a simmer and simmer until stock reduces and thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and simmer for 1 minute more.
- Add pasta to the pan and stir everything to combine.
- Remove pasta from heat and stir in pesto, peas, chicken, and crispy bacon.
- Serve pasta with some black pepper on top. Enjoy!