Creamy Chicken and Pesto Pastawith asparagus / peas
- Pasta, any fun shape - 8 oz
- Bacon - 4 strips, chopped
- Asparagus - 1 bunch, trimmed and cut into 1” / 2.5 cm lengths
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into thin strips
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Flour - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Pesto, store-bought or homemade - 1/3 cup
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If making ahead, toss it with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bacon / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken into thin strips. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Peas - Defrost in the microwave.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease out of the pan. Return pan to medium heat.
- To heated pan add chicken and saute until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate with the bacon.
- To heated pan, add butter and asparagus. Saute for 2 minutes to start asparagus cooking.
- Pour flour over asparagus and stir until no dry spots remain. Pour stock into pan while whisking. Bring stock to a simmer and simmer until stock reduces and thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and simmer for 1 minute more.
- Add pasta to the pan and stir everything to combine.
- Remove pasta from heat and stir in pesto, peas, chicken, and crispy bacon.
- Serve pasta with some black pepper on top. Enjoy!
We enjoyed it. Made homemade arugula pesto. Delicious and comes together quickly.0 Helpful
Really good! I doubled the roux sauce as I made extra noodles.0 Helpful
This is so good! Great pasta meal.0 Helpful
Really good! Quick and easy! Added extra pesto because it’s one of my favorites.0 Helpful
Quick and easy for a low key weeknight meal0 Helpful
Cooked this twice - once with and once without bacon. Second time I skipped the chicken and topped each bowl with a poached egg. Great for springtime with whatever fresh green veg you have on hand - asparagus, green beans, broccoli, peas, etc. You can use some of the pasta water instead of stock when making the roux and add garlic, if you like. I'd take the veggies out of the pan before adding flour, otherwise it can end up clumpy. Very versatile and fresh meal.0 Helpful