Sweet Potato and Sausage Breakfast Hash
It can be a challenge to get all of the ingredients in a breakfast hash to finish cooking at the same time, so this recipe calls for pre-cooking the sweet potatoes to give them a head start. Finish this one-pan meal with eggs cracked and cooked right in the hash.
Smarts: Keep an eye on the ingredients as they cook on the bottom of the pan. The goal is to get a deep golden brown on the sausage and vegetables without letting them burn, so adjust the heat as needed. Adding water before adding the spinach and eggs helps to keep the right amount of moisture in the bottom of the pan as the eggs cook.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Onions, medium - 1, cubed
- Sausage, any pre-cooked or smoked variety - 4 links, cubed (we like chicken apple sausage here)
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chives - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Sausage - Prep as directed. Store potatoes in one container. Combine onions and sausage in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice blend - Combine paprika, coriander, garlic, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook sweet potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until sweet potatoes are tender, 4 to 7 minutes (depending on the size of the cubes). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chives / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once shimmering, add onions and sausage and saute until onions are very tender and sausage is starting to brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked sweet potatoes and spice blend. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes more, letting potatoes brown a little on the bottom of the pan.
- Add water and spinach and saute until spinach reduces slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to form small “nests” (for the eggs) in the vegetable mixture. Crack the eggs directly into these spaces.
- Lower heat to medium. Cover and cook until eggs are done to your liking, ~5 minutes.
- Top hash with chives and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over the top. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
So good! Got a little wild with the amount of stuff I was putting in, nearly overflowed my largest skillet.0 Helpful
Would make again! Very easy, especially since the potatoes were microwaved. Would be better with a sauce (maybe a spicy Mayo)?0 Helpful
So great. Everyone wanted more.0 Helpful
We chose this recipe to use up sweet potatoes that were already cooked as a side (sheet pan BBQ sausage and bell peppers). It came together easily and tasted good.0 Helpful
Tasty, but didn't end up feeling like much food. I think I probably should have gotten more sweet potato.0 Helpful
Simple and a winner for everyone. I did one and a half times the seasoning because I did a bit more potatoes and sausage than called for. It was perfect.0 Helpful