Za’atar Chicken and Arugula Salad
and soft-boiled egg / radishes / creamy avocado dressing
Za’atar Chicken and Arugula Salad:
- Zucchini - 12 oz , cubed
- Radishes - 10 , halved
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub garam masala or any other spice blend you like)
- Eggs - 4
- Arugula - 8 oz
Creamy Avocado Dressing:
- Shallots - 1 clove , chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Avocados - 1
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Zucchini / Radishes / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine zucchini and radishes. Store shallots in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize chicken with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make avocado dressing - (Note: This uses similar ingredients to Thursday’s guacamole, so if you’re making that meal, make guacamole at the same time. Press plastic wrap over the top of the guacamole to prevent browning.) Mash together avocados, shallots, and cilantro. Whisk in lime juice, vinegar, and adobo sauce. Blend with an immersion blender for a very smooth dressing or just mash and stir until the mixture is smooth. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is heating bring a small saucepan of water to boil for the eggs.
- Toss zucchini and radishes in cooking oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Transfer sheet pan with vegetables to the oven and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, for 10 minutes to get them started cooking. After 10 minutes, remove sheet pan from the oven and nestle chicken into vegetables. Drizzle chicken pieces with some oil and then sprinkle za’atar over top of everything.
- Return sheet pan to the oven and continue roasting until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Once chicken is in the oven, return to the saucepan of water. Gently add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this should yield cooked whites and runny yolks so adjust the time if you’d like your eggs cooked differently). When eggs are finished, transfer to a colander and run under cool water.
- Peel eggs.
- Assemble salad by creating a bed of arugula. Top arugula with roasted vegetables and chicken. Slice eggs in half and add those on top. Finish with avocado dressing. Enjoy!