Quinoa Bowl with Za’atar Chickpeas
and soft-boiled egg / radishes / arugula / avocado crema
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Radishes - 10, halved
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub garam masala or any other spice blend you like)
- Eggs - 4
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Arugula - 5 oz
- Cooked quinoa (ingredients listed separately) - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Radishes / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine zucchini and radishes. Store shallots in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make crema - (Note: This uses similar ingredients to Thursday’s guacamole, so if you’re making that meal, make guacamole at the same time. Press plastic wrap over the top of the guacamole to prevent browning.) Mash together avocados, shallots, and cilantro. Add lime juice, sour cream, and adobo sauce. Blend with an immersion blender for a very smooth crema or just mash and stir until the mixture is smooth. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven is heating bring a small saucepan of water to boil for the eggs.
- Toss zucchini, radishes, and beans in cooking oil and za’atar. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Transfer sheet pan with vegetables to the oven and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- When vegetables are about halfway through cooking, return to the saucepan of water. Gently add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this should yield cooked whites and runny yolks so adjust the time if you’d like your eggs cooked differently). When eggs are finished, transfer to a colander and run under cool water.
- Just before serving, whisk together vinegar and olive oil. Add arugula and toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Peel eggs.
- Assemble bowls by creating a bed of arugula. Top arugula with quinoa and roasted vegetables / chickpeas. Slice eggs in half and add those to the bowl. Finish with avocado crema. Enjoy!
I've never roasted radishes before and I'm sold! It was so good! I messed up the eggs, so mine was egg-free but still filling and delicious. I don't even like arugula, but the flavor went well with the zatar spice.0 Helpful
Really good. The crema really makes the flavors pop! Def would make this again, and trying to figure out how I could meal prep this ahead of time.0 Helpful
Loved the flavor combination! Skipped adobo in sauce so kids could eat it, but added cayenne powder to my bowl for a kick. Also made a head of roasted cauliflower florets to bulk it up.0 Helpful
pretty yummy! no need to double the crema. i did the second time and had the doubled part as leftovers. i also made all the veggies in the air fryer and turned out great! also no need for the arugula either if none on hand0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this.0 Helpful
Excellent and made fantastic leftovers.0 Helpful