Larb Summer Rolls
with mango coconut smoothie
Smarts: If this is your first time making summer rolls, be sure to give yourself some extra time and watch the video linked in the recipe below. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, making these fresh rolls is a lot of fun.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, matchsticks
- Lettuce, green leaf - 8 leaves, torn into large pieces
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Rice papers - 16 (look for these in the ethnic aisle)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Mango cubes, fresh or frozen - 1 lb (sub any tropical fruit like pineapple)
- Ice cubes - 2 cups (omit if using frozen fruit)
- Ginger / Garlic / Carrots (if not pre-shredded) - Prep as directed. Combine ginger and garlic. Store carrots separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, water, honey, Sriracha, and sesame seeds. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook turkey - Heat a skillet with oil over medium heat. Add turkey, ginger, garlic, and salt. Saute until turkey is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, mango, and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add some water if the smoothie is too thick to blend easily.
- If turkey was cooked ahead, heat it in the microwave until warm. Stir in cilantro, fish sauce, lime juice, and red pepper flakes (if using). Taste and season with some more fish sauce, lime juice, or red pepper flakes if needed. Set aside.
- Set out all ingredients for filling the rolls - lettuce, turkey, carrots, and cucumbers.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 1/2” / 3.75 cm of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- Dip rice paper into warm water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking).
- Place rice paper onto a clean counter or cutting board. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer lettuce, turkey, carrots, and cucumbers. (You may need to tear the lettuce leaves into smaller pieces as you work so that they fit in the middle of the rice paper rolls.) Don’t overfill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Repeat until you have no more filling.
- Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce. Enjoy smoothie on the side.
These were good but I thought the flavour could be amped up a bit somehow. Maybe it was the turkey? Next time I would try just adding in whole or roughly chopped cilantro leaves to the wrap instead of stirring into the meat (I couldn’t really taste it). I would also add avocado. These would have intimidated the crap out of me before but the video was really helpful!1 Helpful
Easy and light. Great summer meal. I want to try the original version sometime. and I used ground chicken.0 Helpful
delicious! made with ground chicken and used 1lb but followed the rest for 2 portions. also substituted fish sauce for 1/2 soy sauce 1/2 rice vinegar0 Helpful
So good! Made it with shrimp instead, but so good!0 Helpful
Really good flavor. The lettuce made them hard to roll tightly so I left it out after the first few rolls.0 Helpful
Super good. Triple the fish sauce, let it be funky. Cilantro cooked with the meat AND some fresh laid on top while you wrap.0 Helpful
My 2.5yo loved rolling these up with us! It was fun to have a family "activity" together making these. We had prepped things ahead of time, so they came together really quickly. I can't wait to make other variations of a summer roll with the leftover rice papers.0 Helpful