Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and mushrooms / peas
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Half and half - 3/4 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss with some oil to prevent it from sticking. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil and then shallots. Saute until shallots are nearly soft, ~2 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning and flour until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock into pan while whisking. Bring to a simmer. When stock is simmering, pour half and half into pan and simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 more minutes. If using fresh peas, add them at the same time as the half and half. If using frozen peas, add them after the sauce thickens.
- Stir pasta and mushrooms into sauce. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Top pasta with lemon zest, black pepper, and grated cheese. Enjoy!