Pan-Seared Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
and green beans
Versions of spring-themed chicken with pan sauce have been featured a few times in the past (most recently in 2018). This time we're cooking all of the vegetables right in the sauce to cut down on cooking steps. Pancetta, mushrooms, and green beans help to infuse the sauce with flavor.
Pan-Seared Chicken with Mushroom Sauce:
- Pancetta - 4 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Green beans - 12 oz , trimmed and chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1/2 tsp
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then pancetta and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with some salt and set aside. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and add Italian seasoning, shallots, and stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed in the pan.
- Add green beans, mushrooms, and pancetta around chicken.
- Cover and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Whisk together water, mustard, and arrowroot powder. Pour over remaining liquid in pan. Simmer sauce until it thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Taste and season sauce with some salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice chicken and serve with sauce and vegetables. Enjoy!