Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and pancetta / mushrooms / peas
This spring-themed pasta has been featured a few times in the past (most recently in 2018), but it's always a cozy, fast favorite this time of year. Pancetta and browned mushrooms give the cream sauce a rich flavor.
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Pancetta - 4 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Half and half - 3/4 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Pancetta / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss with some oil to prevent it from sticking. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then pancetta and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with some salt and set aside. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil and then shallots. Saute until shallots are nearly soft, ~2 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning and flour until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock into pan while whisking. Bring to a simmer. When stock is simmering, pour half and half into pan and simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 more minutes. If using fresh peas, add them at the same time as the half and half. If using frozen peas, add them after the sauce thickens.
- Stir pasta, pancetta, and mushrooms into sauce. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Top pasta with lemon zest, black pepper, and grated cheese. Enjoy!