Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and pancetta / mushrooms / peas
- Pancetta - 4 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Peas, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Half and half - 3/4 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Pancetta / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss with some oil to prevent it from sticking. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then pancetta and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with some salt and set aside. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil and then shallots. Saute until shallots are nearly soft, ~2 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning and flour until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock into pan while whisking. Bring to a simmer. When stock is simmering, pour half and half into pan and simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 more minutes. If using fresh peas, add them at the same time as the half and half. If using frozen peas, add them after the sauce thickens.
- Stir pasta, pancetta, and mushrooms into sauce. Taste and season with some salt, if needed.
- Top pasta with lemon zest, black pepper, and grated cheese. Enjoy!
Ketofied the paleo recipe by skipping the arrowroot/cornstarch and using 2 oz. of cream cheese to thicken at the end. Good stuff!0 Helpful
Excellent flavor but maybe a bit heavy. I would use half the pancetta next time to make it a little lighter.0 Helpful
Subbed simple tomato sauce for the white sauce, subbed prosciutto for the pancetta. Super tasty. Wife smiles. Winning.0 Helpful
Yummy! They don't sell half and half in england so I used single cream instead. It was absolutely delicious!!0 Helpful
I made this a couple of weeks ago and we loved it. Used bacon instead of pancetta bc corona times. I have boys who are big protein eaters, so I added grilled chicken. Still delicious.0 Helpful
Giving it 4 stars as it was very easy to make. I feel like it's missing something not sure what. I did add Garlic to it.0 Helpful