Taco Frittata with Black Beans
with chips and salsa
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Green olives, sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend (opt) - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Chips and Salsa:
- Salsa - 1/2 cup (use your favorite)
- Tortilla chips - 6 oz
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep seasoning mixture - Combine cumin, chili powder, and coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green olives - Drain and rinse. If not already sliced, chop or slice them into small pieces.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- While oven is heating, heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. (Note: skillet size is for 4 servings. If customizing, use a larger or smaller skillet, or you can transfer the cooked filling to a muffin tin and top it with the egg mixture before baking.)
- To heated skillet, add oil and then bell peppers. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add beans, seasoning mixture, and white parts of green onions. Saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, tomatoes, and green parts of green onions.
- Pour egg mixture over beans and vegetables. Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (Frittata is done when eggs are set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Slice frittata. Serve with sour cream on top and salsa and chips on the side.