Taco Frittata with Ground Beef
and roasted paprika sweet potatoes
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Green olives, sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 8 oz
- Salsa - 1/2 cup (use your favorite)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep seasoning mixture - Combine cumin, chili powder, and coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green olives - Drain and rinse. If not already sliced, chop or slice them into small pieces.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, paprika, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Set potatoes aside while you prepare frittata.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. (Note: skillet size is for 4 servings. If customizing, use a larger or smaller skillet, or you can transfer the cooked filling to a muffin tin and top it with the egg mixture before baking.)
- To heated skillet, add cooking oil and then bell peppers. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Saute beef, breaking it apart until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add seasoning mixture and white parts of green onions to beef and saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, tomatoes, and green parts of green onions.
- Pour egg mixture over beef and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Transfer skillet with frittata and sheet pan with potatoes to oven and roast them together until frittata is cooked through and potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes for both. Shake pan with the sweet potatoes halfway through cooking.
- Slice frittata. Serve with roasted sweet potatoes on the side. Enjoy salsa over both.
Everyone enjoyed it. Adding jalapeños and cilantro would make it 5 stars most likely.2 Helpful
I did not have green onions on hand. I substituted a mild organic white onion and fresh parsley. I cooked it 22 minutes in a cast iron skillet and that was too long. Hubby and I liked it though. I thought it needed a green side so I made a spinach, onion, and cucumber salad instead of the sweet potatoes.0 Helpful
Pretty tasty! Used ground turkey and upped the bell pepper in place of tomatoes. Left out the cheese since I'm dairy-free right now, but I think that would've kicked it up to 5 stars. I also think I baked it a little too long (20 min.). Served the olives on top to accommodate different olive preferences. :) Nice easy recipe.0 Helpful
So easy to prep and to throw together! I used ground turkey and definitely more cheese than was in the recipe. I also amped up the flavor/spice by adding sliced serrano and jalapeno peppers with the tomatoes.0 Helpful
Easy and everybody loved it!0 Helpful
Loved this! Very easy since we had leftover taco meat already.0 Helpful
Easy and good!0 Helpful