Taco Frittata with Ground Beef
with chips and salsa
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Green olives, sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 8 oz
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend (opt) - 3/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Salsa - 1/2 cup (use your favorite)
- Tortilla chips - 6 oz
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep seasoning mixture - Combine cumin, chili powder, and coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green olives - Drain and rinse. If not already sliced, chop or slice them into small pieces.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- While oven is heating, heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. (Note: skillet size is for 4 servings. If customizing, use a larger or smaller skillet, or you can transfer the cooked filling to a muffin tin and top it with the egg mixture before baking.)
- To heated skillet, add oil and then bell peppers. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Saute beef, breaking it apart until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add seasoning mixture and white parts of green onions to beef and saute until spices are fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, tomatoes, and green parts of green onions.
- Pour egg mixture over beef and vegetables. Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. (Frittata is done when eggs are set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Slice frittata. Serve with sour cream on top and salsa and chips on the side.
Everyone enjoyed it. Adding jalapeños and cilantro would make it 5 stars most likely.2 Helpful
I did not have green onions on hand. I substituted a mild organic white onion and fresh parsley. I cooked it 22 minutes in a cast iron skillet and that was too long. Hubby and I liked it though. I thought it needed a green side so I made a spinach, onion, and cucumber salad instead of the sweet potatoes.0 Helpful
Pretty tasty! Used ground turkey and upped the bell pepper in place of tomatoes. Left out the cheese since I'm dairy-free right now, but I think that would've kicked it up to 5 stars. I also think I baked it a little too long (20 min.). Served the olives on top to accommodate different olive preferences. :) Nice easy recipe.0 Helpful
So easy to prep and to throw together! I used ground turkey and definitely more cheese than was in the recipe. I also amped up the flavor/spice by adding sliced serrano and jalapeno peppers with the tomatoes.0 Helpful
Easy and everybody loved it!0 Helpful
Loved this! Very easy since we had leftover taco meat already.0 Helpful
Easy and good!0 Helpful