Latin Chicken Soup
with mushrooms / spinach
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 6 oz, diced
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced or chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 16 oz
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Store zucchini and garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make soup seasoning - Combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots. Saute until nearly tender, ~5 minutes.
- Add chicken and soup seasoning and saute, breaking chicken apart, until chicken is nearly cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and zucchini to soup.
- Cover soup and bring to a simmer. Simmer soup until zucchini is tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir spinach into soup until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add hot sauce and squeeze half the lime wedges into soup. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with green onions. Serve extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
We kept the mushrooms whole, which we loved. It was overall tasty!0 Helpful
Where has this been all my life?!? This is my new favorite soup. Had to make some substitutes based on what we had, but so good. Added less than a pound of ground beef, subbed green beans for zucchini, black beans for red beans, and put the mushrooms in to brown up in the beef juices before adding other ingredients. Might make this again next week, depends on if I finish the leftovers before Monday. Enjoy!1 Helpful
Loved this soup! My husband is from CDMX and it is approved. His only thought was to roast the noodles in tomato paste instead of on their own. That is what his family does. This was a really good take on a latin comfort food.1 Helpful
I love this, and I’m not really into soup so it was an excellent surprise. I added a few extra noodles because I love noodles.0 Helpful
Good soup! I wanted a bit of spice so I added 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper.0 Helpful
Used regular crushed tomatoes and we enjoyed it a lot, kids loved it.0 Helpful