Latin Chicken Soup
with mushrooms / spinach
This Latin-inspired soup consists of ground chicken in a rich broth. To build layers of flavor, it also has a blend of spices, vegetables, and baby spinach.
Latin Chicken Soup with Mushrooms:
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 6 oz , diced
- Zucchini - 12 oz , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced or chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 16 oz
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Store zucchini and garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make soup seasoning - Combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots. Saute until nearly tender, ~5 minutes.
- Add chicken and soup seasoning and saute, breaking chicken apart, until chicken is nearly cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and zucchini to soup.
- Cover soup and bring to a simmer. Simmer soup until zucchini is tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Stir spinach into soup until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add hot sauce and squeeze half the lime wedges into soup. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with green onions. Serve extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!