Sopa de Fideo
with mushrooms / kidney beans
This Latin-inspired soup consists of noodles in a rich broth. To build layers of flavor, our version has a blend of spices, vegetables, and kidney beans for protein.
Smarts: To give the noodles extra flavor and help them to hold their shape in the soup, toast them in oil at the beginning of cooking.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Carrots - 6 oz, diced
- Zucchini - 8 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced or chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pasta, fideo - 4 oz (sub angel hair pasta, broken into small pieces)
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Onions / Carrots / Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Store zucchini and garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make soup seasoning - Combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with first part of oil over medium heat.
- Add pasta to heated pan and toast until deep golden brown, stirring constantly for ~5 minutes. Set toasted pasta aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil to heated pan and then onions and carrots. Saute until nearly tender, ~5 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning, garlic, mushrooms, and zucchini and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until spices are fragrant.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and beans to soup.
- Cover soup and bring to a simmer.
- When soup is simmering, stir in pasta. Put the lid on the soup, leaving it slightly ajar so that some steam can escape. Continue cooking until both pasta and zucchini are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Squeeze half the lime wedges into soup. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with sour cream and green onions. Serve extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
We kept the mushrooms whole, which we loved. It was overall tasty!0 Helpful
Where has this been all my life?!? This is my new favorite soup. Had to make some substitutes based on what we had, but so good. Added less than a pound of ground beef, subbed green beans for zucchini, black beans for red beans, and put the mushrooms in to brown up in the beef juices before adding other ingredients. Might make this again next week, depends on if I finish the leftovers before Monday. Enjoy!0 Helpful
Loved this soup! My husband is from CDMX and it is approved. His only thought was to roast the noodles in tomato paste instead of on their own. That is what his family does. This was a really good take on a latin comfort food.0 Helpful
I love this, and I’m not really into soup so it was an excellent surprise. I added a few extra noodles because I love noodles.0 Helpful
Good soup! I wanted a bit of spice so I added 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper.0 Helpful
Used regular crushed tomatoes and we enjoyed it a lot, kids loved it.0 Helpful