Tuna Roll Salad
with seared ahi tuna / avocado / pickled ginger
The lightly seared tuna that tops this salad is reminiscent of sushi, so if you'd like, it's great served with sushi favorites - dried seaweed, pickled ginger, and wasabi.
Smarts: Ahi tuna is typically served rare or medium rare (bright pink in the center), but feel free to cook it to your liking.
- Seaweed, dried (opt) - for serving , thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Avocados - 2 , cubed
- Ahi tuna steaks - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white or black (opt) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Pickled ginger - 1/4 cup , drained
- Wasabi (opt) - for serving
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Miso - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
Make dressing - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, miso, honey, toasted sesame oil, and cooking oil (portion for dressing). Whisk until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Prep tuna - Rinse fish and pat dry. Season tuna steaks on both sides with some salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet with cooking oil (portion for salad) over medium heat.
While skillet is heating up, pour sesame seeds into a shallow bowl or baking dish. Press tuna steaks into sesame seeds to coat on both sides.
Transfer the sesame-coated tuna to heated skillet and sear on both sides (about 2 minutes per side for medium rare, 3 minutes per side for medium).
When fish is cooked to your liking, transfer to a cutting board and let rest for a minute while you assemble the salad.
Assemble salads by tossing cucumbers, lettuce, green onions, avocados, and cashews in half the dressing. Divide between serving bowls.
Thinly slice tuna and place on top of salads. Finish salads with additional dressing if you’d like. Top with sliced seaweed and serve with some pickled ginger and wasabi.