Egg Roll in a Bowl
with cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cabbage, green - 1 lb, shredded (sub coleslaw mix)
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ground turkey - 1 lb (use dark meat turkey if available; sub any ground meat)
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Almonds, slivered or sliced - 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower rice - (Skip if cauliflower rice was made ahead for Monday.) Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cabbage / Carrots / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store cabbage and carrots separately. Combine garlic and ginger in one container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven or wok with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add turkey and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and aminos and saute until fully cooked through, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in sesame oil and lime juice. Set cooked turkey aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then cabbage. Increase heat to medium-high. Saute cabbage, adding water if the pan looks dry, until reduced by half, 6 to 7 minutes.
- When cabbage is reduced, add carrots and continue cooking the vegetables together until tender, ~5 minutes more. (Note: Feel free to adjust the cook time so that the vegetables are cooked to your preference. If you’d like them to have some crunch, reduce cook time. If you’d like them more tender, cook for a few minutes more.) Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir turkey and cilantro into carrots and cabbage and cook everything together until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve egg roll filling over cauliflower rice. Serve hot sauce, almonds, and lime wedges on the side to use for topping bowls.
Easy and yummy! We took the leftover filling and made egg roll chimichangas (following the instructions for the chimichangas this week).1 Helpful
Instead of pork, I used plant based meat crumbles. Turned out great! This will def be a make again meal!0 Helpful
This was good overall and pleasantly quick to put together using pre-shredded vegetables. The sauce was really tasty, but I’d have liked more of it - and I’m not usually a sauce doubler! :)0 Helpful
Added green onions and sugar snap peas. Poured sauced over the top before serving and used cashews. Everyone liked it. 2nd time- added zucchini. Made same other changes as above. Liked by 3 of 4 this time.0 Helpful
Sauce was way too runny, so I used sriracha instead. I also wanted something more salty than the sliced almonds, so I used cashews I had on hand. Great swap! Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
So so good. Added green onions and subbed peanuts for the almonds.0 Helpful