Egg Roll in a Bowl with rice / sweet Thai chili sauce
Forget the wrappers and deep frying, this satisfying meal lets the classic filling found in an egg roll shine. Serve it over rice with a sweet Thai chili sauce on top.
Smarts: If not making Thursday’s dependency meal and looking to save some time, you may want to skip making the Thai chili sauce for tonight’s dinner. You can add some soy sauce or hot sauce to the finished dish if it needs a little flavoring on top.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Cabbage, green - 1 lb, shredded (sub coleslaw mix)
- Carrots - 5 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ground turkey - 1 lb (use dark meat turkey if available; sub any ground meat)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Almonds, slivered or sliced - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine vinegar, first part of water, sugar, and chili garlic sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until sugar has dissolved and sauce has reduced a bit, 4 to 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk together second part of water and cornstarch. Pour water-cornstarch mixture into sauce and continue simmering for 1 minute more to thicken. Remove sauce from heat and stir in lime juice (portion for sauce). Taste the sauce and add some more chili garlic sauce if you’d like it spicier. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cabbage / Carrots / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store cabbage and carrots separately. Combine garlic and ginger in one container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven or wok with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add turkey and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and soy sauce and saute until fully cooked through, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in sesame oil and lime juice (portion for egg roll filling). Set cooked turkey aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then cabbage. Increase heat to medium-high. Saute cabbage, adding water if the pan looks dry, until reduced by half, 6 to 7 minutes.
- When cabbage is reduced, add carrots and continue cooking the vegetables together until tender, ~5 minutes more. (Note: Feel free to adjust the cook time so that the vegetables are cooked to your preference. If you’d like them to have some crunch, reduce cook time. If you’d like them more tender, cook for a few minutes more.) Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir turkey and cilantro into carrots and cabbage and cook everything together until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve egg roll filling over rice. Serve Thai chili sauce (reserve half if doubled), almonds, and lime wedges on the side to use for topping bowls.
This meal has 0 reviews