Baked Chicken Chimichangaswith broccoli
Chimichangas are burritos with a crisp, deep-fried tortilla shell. We gave this version the Cook Smarts treatment, lightening things up by baking them in the oven with some melted butter brushed over top. The result is a crisp, golden exterior and warm filling with far fewer calories than the standard restaurant version.
Smarts: The filling of these chimichangas is made with rotisserie chicken. Be sure to shred rotisserie chicken for Thursday's meal at the same time.
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Cilantro leaves - 2 tsp, torn
- Tortillas, burrito-sized flour - 4
- Beans, refried (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Salsa - 1/4 cup (plus more for serving)
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 1 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Broccoli - 1 lb, florets
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Set out a large sheet pan (use two sheet pans if one pan cannot easily hold the chimichangas and broccoli).
- Set out all of the tortillas. Spread refried beans all over the inside of the tortillas. (Note: Spread the beans all the way to the edges of the tortillas - this will help the chimichangas to hold together once rolled.)
- Fill the center of the tortillas with chicken (remember to reserve half for Thursday), salsa, and cheese. Working with one tortilla at a time, fold the left and right sides over slightly and then roll the tortillas up to completely enclose the filling. Place chimichangas on one side of the prepared sheet pan, seam-side down.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Brush over top and sides of chimichangas.
- Toss broccoli with oil, cumin, and some salt and pepper. Spread broccoli on the other half of the pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until chimichangas are crisp and golden brown and broccoli is tender, ~25 minutes. (Stir broccoli halfway through cooking.)
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccoli.
- Serve chimichangas with a spoonful of sour cream and cilantro leaves on top. Enjoy with salsa for dipping and broccoli on the side.
This meal has 3 reviews
Excellent! I told the kids it was a hot Pocket and everyone loved it! Easy and super tasty. A new favorite!
A new favourite! I’m in isolation, so I baked a pair of chicken breasts loaded with a rotisserie spice mix, and I made my own tortillas. Had avocados going bad so I made a side of guacamole as well. Well worth it - will definitely make this recipe again.
Do not skip this one. It is very delicious!!!!! I made my own tortillas so it took longer but it should be fairly quick if you already have tortillas on hand. 4 year old, 7 year old, and husband were ALL pleased!