Halibut with Miso Butter and charred green beans / rice
Miso butter has become a Cook Smarts classic and our community has loved it over a variety of proteins. The rich, savory flavors of this compound butter pair nicely with mild halibut. Be sure to add the butter while the fish is still warm so that it melts over the green beans and rice as well as the fish.
- Butter, unsalted - 4 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 2 tsp, chopped
- Miso - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Halibut - 1 lb (sub any firm white fish)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed and chopped into 3” / 7.5 cm lengths
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 1 tsp (opt; sub another hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Rice - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim and chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make miso lime butter - Soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Chop cilantro. Mash miso, lime juice (portion for miso butter), and cilantro into softened butter. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Halibut - Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with oil (portion for green beans) over medium-high heat. Add green beans and saute until they turn bright green, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water and chili garlic sauce to green beans and cover. Steam green beans, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove lid and continue to saute green beans until water cooks off and beans are tender and starting to blacken in spots, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove beans from heat and stir in lime juice (portion for green beans), ground coriander, and some salt and pepper.
- Transfer green beans to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Return skillet to heat.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium-low. Add oil (portion for halibut). When oil is heated, add halibut and leave it to sear on one side until golden brown, ~4 minutes.
- Flip halibut and cook the other side until the fish flakes easily, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Serve halibut over rice. Spoon miso butter over top while the fish is still warm so that it melts. Enjoy green beans on the side.
This meal has 0 reviews